There is a known bug with the SCCM MP and powershell/WMI v3 if you have the SCCM agent installed on your Management Point Server. When the SCCM agent health check runs nightly it rebuilds WMI and breaks the MP.
please see my follow up post here on how to setup a Configuration Item to find this on your network if you are running Pre SP1 ConfigMgr still.
I opened a case with Microsoft support they confirmed that there was a known bug with WMF 3.0 and SCCM MP. they had two options to resolve this
1. unisntall WMF 3.0 and uninstall the SCCM agent from the Management point Server (would need to uninstall and reinstall the MP after SCCM agent is removed)
2. edit the NotifyOnly Regkey to TRUE. full path to the Key HKLM\Software\Microsoft\CCM\CcmEval\NotifyOnly
They attempted to uninstall WMF 3.0 and reinstall the Management Point with the following steps
1. unisntall WMF 3.0
2. Uninstall the SCCM agent
3. Uninstall SCCM MP
4. run CCMClean from the SMS 2003 toolkit
5. reinstall the MP and SCCM agent
the MP still failed when the SCCM agent health check was run. So we disabled the notifyOnly RegKey on the SCCM MP and then things were back to normal with the exception that the SCCM agent health check does not fix WMI issues.
The notifyonly regkey tells the agent to not attempt to fix WMI if the agent thinks WMI is unhealthy.
The problem is related to WMI 3.0 that is installed with powershell v3.
Microsoft has not confirmed that the bug is really related to the client but from what I have seen I believe that is the case also we had many other applications Veeam, was the big one that we had issues with if a job was running when the SCCM agent did it’s health check.
Ways to detect the problem
1. In the application event log there is an event ID 4 logged every night shortly after the sccm agent health check is scheduled to run.
2. Multiple applications that rely on WMI start failing between 12am and 2am.
The official SCCM team has bloged about this also http://blogs.technet.com/b/configmgrteam/archive/2012/12/18/known-issue-configuration-manager-management-points-collocated-with-clients-fail.aspx
Related: I also found this post on the Exchange team’s blog yesterday, stating that you should not install WMF 3.0 on exchange 2007 or 2010 yet. http://blogs.technet.com/b/exchange/archive/2012/12/14/windows-management-framework-3-0-on-exchange-2007-and-exchange-2010.aspx
Update 12 Feb 2013:
Check out my other blog post about related WMI issues on SQL Servers after WMF 3.0 is isntalled and the SCCM WMI repair has failed.